Research on the river shrimps of the genus Macrobrachium (Bate, 1868) (Decapoda: Caridea: Palaemonidae) with known or potential economic importance: strengths and weaknesses shown through scientometrics

Olimpia Chong-Carrillo, Fernando Vega-Villasante, Ricardo Arencibia-Jorge, Shehu L. Akintola, Layla Michán-Aguirre, Fabio G. Cupul-Magaña


DOI: https://doi.org/10.3856/vol43-issue4-fulltext-7

Abstract


This study revealed that the scientific interest in the genus Macrobrachium was not restricted to a biological point of view, but included also social and economic aspects. Many species of the genus are subject of traditional fisheries and culture worldwide. Several research groups across the globe have developed projects in various subject areas on commercial or non-commercial native species of this genus. This investigation aimed to contribute to the development of the genus Macrobrachium research through a scientometric study. The study was based on publications (1980 to 2013) registered in the following databases: Biological Abstracts, ISI Web of Science, SciELO Citation Index, BioOne, Science Direct, Scopus, and Redalyc. A total of 2165 publications on Macrobrachium in the last 33 years were included in this analysis. The themes that yielded most posts were related to culture, nutrition/feeding, and genetics with almost 60% of the total. Publications concerning M. rosenbergii represented more than 60% of the total with the remaining 40% encompassing 22 other species. Analysis performed by geographical regions evidenced that Latin America produced 23% of the publications, South Asia 22%, and East Asia 16%. Brazil generated 65% of the percentage mentioned for the Latin American region. It is necessary to strengthen research on topics of basic biology, especially those of native species. This will allow rapid progress in the generation of production technologies sustained by a solid biological knowledge base.


Chong-Carrillo O, Vega-Villasante F, Arencibia-Jorge R, Akintola S, Michán-Aguirre L, Cupul-Magaña F. Research on the river shrimps of the genus Macrobrachium (Bate, 1868) (Decapoda: Caridea: Palaemonidae) with known or potential economic importance: strengths and weaknesses shown through scientometrics. Lat. Am. J. Aquat. Res.. 2017;43(4): 684-690. Available from: doi:10.3856/vol43-issue4-fulltext-7 [Accessed 17 Apr. 2021].
Chong-Carrillo, O., Vega-Villasante, F., Arencibia-Jorge, R., Akintola, S., Michán-Aguirre, L., & Cupul-Magaña, F. (2017). Research on the river shrimps of the genus Macrobrachium (Bate, 1868) (Decapoda: Caridea: Palaemonidae) with known or potential economic importance: strengths and weaknesses shown through scientometrics. Latin American Journal of Aquatic Research, 43(4), 684-690. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.3856/vol43-issue4-fulltext-7